I see quite often people ask us more detail on how to install a magento theme. Be it a free theme downloaded in the internet or be it a premium theme. Premium theme comes along with the installation procedures. We do have a crisp install procedure which is just 1 and 1/2 half page. Back to the the topic. Please do the following procedure on installing a magento theme.
There are 2 main folders that you need to aware of. 1. App, 2. Skin
App folder contains the template structures of the theme.
Skin folder contains the css, images etc.,
The template is located at magento_folder/app/design/frontend/default/
- Unzip the theme and you should find app and skin folders seperate on unzipping.
- Please find the theme name inside the app folder or if the theme name is default then ensure this is the path were you need to upload it to your magento installation folder. magento_folder/app/design/frontend/default/yourtheme
- Find the skin folder in the theme and upload it to the following path.magento_folder/skin/frontend/default/yourtheme
- Once the folders are uploaded, get into the admin panel
- System->Design, click on “Add design change” button. Select your store to which you wanted to roll out the new theme in the “Store” field.
- Select the new theme name from the available drop down in the “Custom design” field.
- Click on “Save“.
Please note you can also instruct magento to keep the new theme for a fixed time lime, if you want to keep the new theme for a fixed time line, select the Date from and Date to.
- Please let us know if in case you find any problem in installing a new theme.